Are you nervous about your next dental appointment? If the answer is yes, you are not alone. Perhaps you haven’t been to the dentist for a while and are afraid of what the dentist might find? Or you are scared that the visit might hurt.
Whatever your reason, the right dental team can take care of both your emotional and dental health. The longer you wait to go to the dentist, the greater risk that you are developing dental problems that will make future dental visits even more difficult.
Here are some of our top strategies for easing anxiety and strengthening your relationship with the dentist.
Those with anxiety know that talking to others about your concerns makes a world of difference. Getting your worries of your chest can lead to a significant decrease in the anxiety felt when thinking about your dental appointment. Furthermore, your dental team can better help you out if they know your concerns. Speak up!
This may seem like an obvious one but distracting yourself can lead to a significant decrease in anxiety levels. Here are some ideas of what you could do to help distract your thought process.
- Wear headphones and listen to your favourite music. Some dental offices also have televisions you can watch.
- Occupy your hands by squeezing a stress ball or playing with an object. Maybe take a fidget spinner with you?
- Imagine your happy place or think about something you are excited about. This could be something like an upcoming vacation or a party that is coming up.
Relaxation starts in the mind. Try and take deep breaths as often as you can to help keep you calm and release tension in your muscles.
- Counting your breaths can also be beneficial as it serves as a distraction and forces you to breath more deeply.
- Do a body scan. Focus on relaxing muscles one at a time.
Don’t worry about your next dental appointment. Our team at Apple Dental is one of the best, and is ready to help you in any way we can! Contact our team today and book your next appointment!