Complimentary Consultation

Blog

All About Wisdom Teeth

They say that with age comes greater wisdom. This is a debatable statement. We prefer to say the following: With Age comes wisdom . . . teeth! Your mouth goes through many changes in your lifetime. Between the ages of 17 and 21, your third molars start to appear in the corners of your mouth.
Read more

Sensitive Teeth – How to Treat Them

Is your daily hot cup of coffee or a spoonful of your favorite ice cream a uncomfortable experience? Do you sometimes wince in pain when brushing and/or flossing your teeth? If these apply to you, you may have a case of sensitive teeth. Sensitive teeth can be caused by a long list of different things.
Read more

Teeth Whitening

In a 2012 survey conducted by the Academy of Cosmetic Dentists, most respondents indicated they wanted whiter, brighter teeth. At Apple Dental we constantly strive to educate Calgarians about their teeth and how to achieve their goals, so this month we’re going to talk about teeth stains and whitening. There are two types of stains,
Read more

Diabetes and Dental Care

Did you know diabetes and dental care are related? This statement comes at a shock to many people. With diabetes becoming more prevalent in today’s society, it is important that dentists know what precautions to take when dealing with diabetic patients. Diabetes Mellitus is a common group of metabolic diseases that lead to high levels
Read more

Fluoride and Oral Health

Cavities used to be a fact of life that everyone had to deal with. But that’s less true nowaday. In the past few decades, teeth decay has been reduced significantly due to one key factor: fluoride. Research has shown time and time again that fluoride reduces the occurrence of cavities in both children and adults.
Read more

Fluoride: What is it?

Enamel, the outer layer of the crown of a tooth, is made of closely packed minerals. Minerals from this layer are lost every day in a process called demineralization. Demineralization, if not carefully reversed, can lead to well-known dental problems such as cavities. Luckily for us, demineralization is not nearly as troublesome as some believe!
Read more

Bad Breath: What Causes it?

There are a number of reasons why you might have “dragon breath”. While many causes are harmless, bad breath can sometimes be a sign of something more serious. Here are five things that might be causing your bad breath!   Oral Bacteria   Bad breath can happen anytime, anywhere, thanks to the billions of bacteria
Read more

How to Freshen Up Bad Breath

Bad breath is something many Calgarians suffer from. Luckily for us, there are many easy ways to improve the smell of our breath. Here are our top tips to freshening up! Brush Your Teeth Twice a Day! This may be something you’ve heard numerous times recently, but brushing your teeth two times per day has
Read more

Dental Anxiety: 3 Ways to Stop Fearing the Dentist

Are you nervous about your next dental appointment? If the answer is yes, you are not alone. Perhaps you haven’t been to the dentist for a while and are afraid of what the dentist might find? Or you are scared that the visit might hurt. Whatever your reason, the right dental team can take care
Read more

Mouthwash – Why Should You Use It?

Why should you use mouthwash? Mouthwash has many oral health benefits that should not be overlooked. Just like dental floss, toothbrushes, and water flossers, mouthwash can get in-between your teeth to clean hard to reach areas. It also reduces the risk of cavities and gum disease. Here is a short list of some of the
Read more

Saliva and Oral Health

Saliva plays a significant role in maintaining our oral health by maintaining oral tissues and removing food for digestion. But what is saliva? Saliva is actually 99% water. The remaining 1% consists of electrolytes and proteins that are associated with saliva’s functions in the mouth. It is secreted from 3 major salivary glands in the
Read more

Chewing Gum to Prevent Cavities!

Chewing gum, an action many Calgarians partake in on a daily basis, has many positive dental benefits. Studies have shown that chewing sugar-free gum for 20 minutes after a meal can help prevent tooth decay, also known as cavities. How does chewing gum do this, you ask? Chewing sugar-free gum stimulates the flow of saliva
Read more