Root canal therapy near you is performed to save your teeth from damage and potential extraction due to infection. It works to decrease your pain and preserve your natural smile. Dentists perform root canal therapy on millions of patients each year with a very high success rate.
However, as is the case with all medical procedures, root canal therapy does come with a slight risk of failure. It is important to recognize the symptoms, signs, and causes of root canal failure so you can take the right steps if it occurs. In this blog post, our team at Apple Dental Group takes a closer look at root canal failure.
What Causes Root Canal Failure?
Patients can sometimes discover that their initial root canal treatment did not heal properly days, weeks, or even months after their procedure. Trauma or decay can cause the root canal area to be compromised once more and lead to infection. Here are some of the main issues that lead to root canal failure:
● Breakdown of the coronal seal– after performing a root canal, your dentist in SW Calgary will seal the coronal part of the root canal system. If this seal breaks down, your tooth becomes susceptible to bacterial leakage and infection once again.
● Failure to clean the root canal– if you have a very complex system of root canals, then your dentist may have trouble cleaning the entire system. In this case, the infection may recur.
● Trauma or decay– in some cases, the root canal can become compromised due to a new injury or new decay that exposes the tooth’s inner tissue to bacteria.
What Are the Signs of Root Canal Failure?
It is always important to keep an eye on your oral health, even if you had a root canal a while back. If you start to notice signs of root canal failure such as swelling, pain, discharge, and a blister on your gums that won’t go away, it is important that you seek treatment from a dentist near you.
Here are some of the most common signs of root canal failure:
● Inflammation– the first sign of infection is typically redness and swelling of the gums around the affected tooth.
● Increased tooth sensitivity– if you notice a sudden increase in your sensitivity to hot and cold substances, then you may have an infection.
● Tooth discoloration– if your tooth suddenly begins to darken or change in appearance, this is a good indication that you should get it checked out.
What Happens if You Experience Root Canal Failure?
If your root canal therapy in SW Calgary has failed, then you will likely require another root canal to save your tooth. In most scenarios, root canal retreatment will prevent your tooth from requiring extraction, decrease your pain, and prevent the spread of infection. Without addressing the problem promptly, you risk losing your tooth.
Visit Apple Dental Group
At Apple Dental Group, our priority is helping patients maintain excellent oral health for a lifetime. If you have had a root canal in the past but feel that you may require retreatment or additional work, please do not hesitate to contact our team of dedicated professionals at Apple Dental Group. We are happy to provide you with a thorough evaluation and determine whether you require root canal retreatment.